Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Come On, Like I Wasn't Going To Call This Post "In Bed"

I touched on this super-briefly a few weeks ago, but it seemed like something that should be gotten into a little more in-depth. Because it's all well and good to resolve to get more sleep, but if something's off with your bed it's not going to be that easy.

I've known people who could sleep pretty much anywhere. It was as if they said "okay, I'm going to sleep now" and then they chose a spot, laid down, closed their eyes, and bam. Sleep. If you are one of those people my hat is off to you and I probably have nothing to offer you today, but in the strong likelihood that you're not, well, let's start with the foundation.

I am of the opinion that one's bed should be as welcoming as possible, given the fact that one spends approximately a third of one's life in there. I also know that everyone has a different definition of "welcoming." So ... there's your starting point. Do you look at your bed and think "yes, that is an excellent place to be." If not, then why not? Most bed-related stuff is easy and pretty cheap to adjust; get a topper or a featherbed if your mattress is too firm, add or subtract pillows depending on your preference and maybe consider shopping around for a pillow type that suits you better if you think you might need more or less head support than you're getting right now, if your sheets feel like sandpaper you can find an all-cotton set with a thread count of at least 300 for really pretty cheap if you know where to look (and if any of those places want to pay me to recommend them I am all for that, but until then you're an intelligent and reasonable person and I'm sure you know the places I'm talking about). And by the way, yes, all-cotton is important. Or at the very least, all-natural fibers - sheets with polyester in them make you sweaty and they pill like crazy, neither of which are terribly welcoming. Except maybe that is your definition of "welcoming," but that's between you and your god and I am way off track here.

Just start with the mattress and work your way up, considering every element on your way there: mattress, pillows, sheets, blankets (both primary and, if necessary, supplementary). Don't even worry about being practical right now, just figure out what everything would ideally be like if it were up to you. Write it down, even! And then look at the list and figure out how you're going to make it, or a close-enough version of it, happen.

Now, yes, you might share your bed with someone who has vastly different ideas of what constitutes "welcoming," but trust me, there is always a work-around. If you're close enough to someone to be regularly sharing a bed with them you should be capable of communicating your needs and finding a solution that works for everyone. And if you're not, well, I am not equipped to help you with that here but I would strongly recommend that you find someone who is. Anyway.

This is one of those things that people tend to put aside, I think, like it gets bumped way down on the priority list for whatever reason and I guess I sort of understand that but I also don't. Like I said, you spend about a third of your life in there! It's worth prioritizing a third of your life! So what if no one sees it but you? You are the most important thing in your entire life! Or at least you should be. I'm a huge believer in crafting your life to be as you-friendly as possible, and I firmly believe that that starts with your bed. So get in there, get things as cozy as you can, and then enjoy all the fabulousness that results from that.

And I totally recommend making your bed every morning, but that might be another post altogether.

Foodie Wednesday tomorrow! I know, I'm excited too.

Have a beautiful day!
- Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment